At Housetop Roofing, a roofing contractor in Raleigh, NC, we strive to provide you with the roof of your dreams. A new roofing trend is rising called green roofs or living roofs. Here are a few details about this eco-friendly take on roofing:
- A green roof is a roof covered in vegetation, which is planted over a waterproofing membrane.
- Not only is this type of roof pleasing to the eye, it is helpful for the environment by creating food for wildlife, such as bees and butterflies.
- Another advantage of green roofs is that they absorb rainwater and reduce stormwater runoff.
- On average, green roofs help to conserve energy by reducing the cooling load of buildings by 50-90%.
- In urban cities where multiple green roofs are planted in a close proximity, this type of roofing actually works to lower the city’s temperature.
- Green roofs can also improve air quality by catching airborne pollutants and filtering gases.