When it comes to roofing contractors in Wake Forest Raleigh, NC, Housetop Roofing can’t be beat. We ensure that your roof is done right by hand nailing all of the shingles, using only in-house employees, and having a foreman on site. We don’t stop there with our quality work: We also offer a number of home improvement services, where we provide the same quality service. Housetop Roofing has some great tips to help you waterproof your deck.
Over time decks will begin to show wear and tear because of their repeated exposure to the elements. There’s no way to avoid your deck’s exposure to sunlight, rain, and ice, but there are ways to help protect it from these elements and slow down the process of aging. At Housetop Roofing, we are happy to help you with a number of home improvement needs, including deck work.
Here are the steps involved in waterproofing your deck:
- The first thing you want to do is clear your deck of all furniture and plants. Then, give your deck a good cleaning with a broom to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Once you’ve done that, you’ll need a pressure washer to remove any dirt that’s caked in and any stain or waterproof coating left on your deck.
- After your deck is thoroughly clean, you’ll want to use a sander to even out any splinters or rough areas on the deck. The cleaner and smoother that your deck is, the better sealants will adhere to your deck’s surface.
- Once your deck has been cleaned and prepped, the next step is to actually apply the sealant. When you do this, you want to be sure to use a brush made for staining and sealants, and you want to move your brush lengthwise in the direction of the boards.
- Once you’ve applied your sealant, allow 48 hours for it to dry.
If you’re curious whether your sealant is still working, pour some water onto your deck boards. If it beads off, then your sealant is still good to go. If it soaks into the board, it’s probably time to apply some more sealant.
For a roofing contractor that can help with several of your home improvement needs, call us at Housetop Roofing in Raleigh, NC. Talk to one of our experts today for more information on waterproofing your deck.